Search This Blog

Sunday, January 9, 2011

20 Characteristics Common Among Unschoolers....

My father was unschooled and he met 80% of these characteristics. He inspired me to learn, to go to school and to never stop learning, even though school was over. Thanks, Dad!
--Don


They are driven by passion: No one asked or seemed to care.

They have a love of learning: No one acknowledged or respected my learning as a person. I was more of a future core, number, or graduation rate tally.

They want you to know that school isn’t the best place to learn lessons on socialization:  Actually, socialization wasn't part of family structure no matter where we were. 

They are happy: I was happy in school. But unhappy when I began to learn more than my parents.
They have interesting careers that they enjoy: There was no time at school devoted to helping me figure out what career I would pursue, instead the focus was on what grade I might get.
They are artistic in some way: There was not an opportunity to explore my artistic side at school. In fact, I think they preferred we believe we were not artistic as that would take away time from doing well on tests.
They are creative: Their creativity was different. It was their hands in crafting; not in technology. Teacher told us the assignment and we were assessed their way.

They have a concern for the environment: Environment? What environment? Side note: There were cigarettes all over the smoking section (yep, we had a smoking section) at our school. This environment will last forever. 

They consider learning in the world far more authentic and valuable then learning in the school world.
School is for learning. If you spend time living life, you’re being lazy. You should be studying. But then when I was reading for pleasure, the question was asked over and over; "Why do you always have a book in your hand?" My answer: "I enjoy reading." 

They are white. At least all the ones I’ve read about. Looking to be proven wrong here. Yep. We were.

Many educators know what Kozol writes about so eloquently. Our schools are grotesquely segregated.
They deeply consider whether college is the right choice for them rather than it being a given.
College readiness was all I knew. Didn’t matter what I were interested in. Just that I were ready to go into debt to pay for more school. I had scholarships for part of the schooling. Drop out when the money became easier to make than pursuing the grades. 

They don’t believe that they are an exception because they are especially self motivated, driven, or smart, though they like to be called that. Rather unschooling has empowered them to be this way.
I was motivated to prove to my Dad that I could achieve more and more and more...

They are adventurous. For some that means local adventures, and others world adventures.
Adventure takes time away from learning.

They are grateful that they were unschooled for the most part.  My mom decided to go back and get her GED. I was proud of her. I'm now completing my BA and becoming a teacher. 

The unschooled are grown or growing up and they seem pretty happy, driven, and passionate, but then so do I!


Posted by The Innovative Educator reprinted from blog posting here.

No comments:

Post a Comment